This page will explain my qualifications and how Live Better Boomer! came to life.
How did you become a healthcare advocate?
Well, let me explain…I went to undergrad college at the University of Buffalo, and because of my passion for helping people, got a dual BA in psychology and health & human services. I was ready to take on the world. I became a social worker, and was discouraged with my career because of all of the bureaucracy and red tape I had to wade through to actually help someone. I certainly did not become a social worker to get rich, but my career has sustained me through difficult financial times. Even though I was discouraged, I always enjoyed working in the healthcare arena of social work with my favorite population — “seasoned” women (40+), which includes me.
I saw how many of them were in healthcare facilities where I worked and I noticed a common theme — vulnerability, lack of knowledge of resources and thinking they had no choices in their care. Some of the things I saw absolutely disgusted me…medical errors, poor patient treatment, and the way some of the doctors operated made me want to flip out. What disgusted me most of all was that profits were the priority, not patients. Everyone was pressured to do things that enhanced the bottom line, not the interests of the patient.
As a social worker, my job was to advocate for patients, families, clients and consumers. I have been doing it since 1994. Find out more about me here.
Why did you form Live Better Boomer!?
As many negatives as I saw in the healthcare system, I have been a party to the madness in working for them. I was a part of the machine. To maintain myself emotionally, I had to distance myself from how hospitals and nursing homes that I worked in treated patients, residents and their families. I needed my paycheck, just like any other hospital social worker or navigator – so our allegiance is to the place we work for, not the patients.
All of it did not hit home until it happened to MY family. You can read about it here. After what happened to my dear grandmother, I was inspired to take my knowledge and experience to help people get their best healthcare. I was tired of not being able to help patients FULLY AND COMPLETELY. I give people options and information they can use in their healthcare journey so they can make informed decisions — and create their “Healthcare Blueprint.” Please check out our Live Better Boomer!’s mission, vision and values here.
What is advocacy and why is it important to me? Why is it important for me to advocate for my best healthcare?
Because YOU are responsible for your own healthcare. Long gone are the days where it will be done for you. Healthcare is a business, and you are a customer. This is why I have dedicated my career to assist those that need it. For more about advocacy and what it means to you, please click here.
What kinds of topics do you coach clients on?
As a healthcare social worker, I’ve acquired a wealth of knowledge in the healthcare and eldercare fields. For other areas that may be of interest to my clients, have developed partnerships and a team of experts to assist me in giving my clients the best information. Here’s a sampling of the things I work with clients on:
- learning how to advocate for your best care
- hospital stays
- managing medications
- caregiving advice
- help with your healthcare insurance and choosing a good plan
- help with billing and claims
- finding the best doctor or other healthcare provider for you and your family
- making the most of your healthcare visits
- finding out about advance directives
- handling a chronic diagnosis
- researching healthcare facilities
- questioning your healthcare providers
- getting resources you need
- doing your healthcare homework
- chronicling your complete medical history
- and more!
Live Better Boomer! offers coaching programs and one-on-one services with Tiffany as the coach or advocate for your critical issues. You can get answers to quick questions through the Live Better Boomer! coaching calls or hire Tiffany to perform case management services for situations that need more of a personal touch. Click here to find out more.
What sets you apart from other advocates in patient navigators?
I have a dual BA in psychology and social work, and a Masters in journalism. I’ve worked with thousands of clients and families and advocated for what they needed while in crisis for two decades. My education and experiences have given me a unique perspective in assisting my clients with getting and keeping good healthcare. I’ve dedicated my career to it, and my passion for it gives me the gas to drive Live Better Boomer! I have worked with family and friends (for which I am a pitbull). I know where you are, and I can help.
Again, patient navigators, social workers or advocates usually work for a healthcare system — and that is to whom they pledge their allegiance. If their allegiance is to the healthcare system that they work for, what about you? Believe me I know, I have worked in hospitals and nursing facilities and had been taught this mindset.
Not every advocate has been trained within the healthcare system, so I have that advantage and experience as well. Many advocates tout bringing themselves or their loved ones through the healthcare system, which I have done myself, and that is how they have gained their experience. Not all advocates, and I say this respectfully, have dealt with the healthcare system personally (for family, friends AND myself) and professionally as I have. I also have the perspective as a patient.
Who do you work well with?
I am very personable, so I work well with many types of people. As far as Live Better Boomer! clientele, I work well with people that:
- are open to new ideas, and want to “think outside the box”
- are active in their healthcare
- want to be in charge of their healthcare journey
- believe their healthcare is of vital importance
- need to know the questions to ask while in the healthcare system
- are not really sure what where or how to begin to improve their healthcare experience
- are exasperated, exhausted, frustrated, tired or overwhelmed with their treatment during their healthcare journey
- people who need support NOW
I will be kind, compassionate and a good listener with experience as a patient — I am hoping for clients who can work well with that!
Who are your ideal clients?
I have dedicated my career to serving people and helping them to get their best care.
An ideal client of mine would be:
- anyone frustrated with trying to navigate the healthcare system
- anyone with a new diagnosis or in need of management of their current diagnosis
- long-distance caregivers (adult children that live a long distance from their parents)
- anyone in a love/hate relationship with their doctor or other healthcare provider
- anyone in need of help with caregiving, medication management or advance directives
- anyone who needs to choose a good health care insurance plan
- anyone who is had problems with doctors, healthcare billing, or the healthcare system itself
- anyone who is newly insured
- anyone who really wants to take charge of their healthcare for themselves & their families and realizes the importance of that
- any seasoned adult with frequent healthcare appointments
- any employer interested in providing a great service to valued employees, which will help their bottom line
- anyone who “doesn’t know where to start” in their healthcare issues
- those in crisis with their healthcare situation
- anyone seriously interested in taking charge of their healthcare
- those that need a plan or blueprint for navigating the healthcare system
What results can I expect?
- what kind of help you are looking for
- the area or areas where you need assistance
- the kind of healthcare providers and systems you have available where you live
- the overall condition of the client
- how you utilize the advice you are given
- family, environmental, financial, medical or legal issues concerning client
- the ability of the client or responsible party to adhere to my advice
One thing I can guarantee is this — you will be fighting a good fight. This is for your health and for the health of your loved ones. You will be more clear and confident about your healthcare journey. You can expect results when you put the efforts. Not everyone’s results will be the same, and you may not always when each battle. But you will win the war in getting better healthcare.
Check out some the things people say about working with Tiffany here.
I’m interested in bettering my healthcare experience. What are my options in working with you?
Review Live Better Boomer!’s coaching program or schedule a complimentary Healthcare Blueprint Strategy Call. During this complimentary session with me, Tiffany Matthews, we will discuss your situation and how to get on the path to better healthcare through LBB! services and products. Sign up for the call now! You can choose the time that is convenient for you to discuss these points:
- where you are in your healthcare journey
- where you want to be in your healthcare journey
- the obstacles to reaching your goals
- what you have already tried
- whether or not you think your issue can be supported with instant or ongoing help